THE KEY FEATURES OF CULTISTORM
For us Cultistorm is an expression of our respect and love for Lovecraft. It’s more than just a game. Our subject choice wasn’t motivated by business reasons, but a very deep commitment to the work and heritage of H.P. Lovecraft. We would like to give a great board game to those who know and love Lovecraft, and we would like to make Lovecraft’s work known to those who are board game fans.
CREATING A LOVECRAFTIAN ATMOSPHERE
1.) SHORT STORY COLLECTION
– almost twenty authors!
We would like to make the game as immersive possible so instead of flavour texts on cards we are writing short stories together with a team of talented weird fiction writers. We give a complete volume of short stories along with the game, which is worthy of Lovecraft’s literary heritage and the genre requirements he created. The short stories are directly connected to the different casts of cultists, locations and Great Old Ones appearing in the game, creating such a detailed world and back story which is quite unusual in the case of board games.
– with music of Graham Plowman
If you feel like listening to some music while reading or playing, you can turn on Graham Plowman’s album he created especially for Cultistorm. Graham is perhaps the most acknowledged composer of the Lovecraftian subculture. He creates this Lovecraftian atmosphere with a mixture of symphonic orchestras and choir music, using instruments from in Lovecraft’s time. His music is powerful, authentic and incredibly high quality. A part of the album will be an exclusive compilation which will never be available at retail after the campaign of Cultistorm.
3.) NARRATIVE GAMA MODE AND THE SCRIPT BOOK
250+ encounter stories
We add a very strong atmospheric element to the game play itself: a Script Book composed of 250+ independent, short stories of literary quality. The players can read a flash fiction story before facing a cultist; the story might have an influence on the game itself.
4.) MORE THAN AN ARTBOOK
The base set will contain an Artbook showcasing the game’s illustrations. We will tell you about the creative process and show you how the pictures reached their final stage. Furthermore, the Artbook will also function as a sort of Bestiary: we present each and every entity from the game in a brief short story-like description. Every location is also going to have its own story and description.
5.) GEEK STUFF
Although not directly linked to the game, we’d like to give a few Lovecraftian gifts to our backers which will surely make our geeky fans happy. We have some suprises, but we show you a concrete example: each Cultistorm box will contain an amazing 70 mm tall Lovecraft model.
6.) CULTURE MISSION
– Free Lovecraft Lecture Series
In Hungary, H.P. Lovecraft’s person and work, his cultural influence and heritage is still almost unknown – the Loveraftian subculture is made up of a few hundred active creators and fans. We wish to change this, that is why we offered a considerable amount from our campaign income to the Hungarian H.P. Lovecraft society to launch an educational lecture series the materials of which would be free for anybody interested. We hope that this cultural initiative can contribute to more people getting to know Lovecraft’s literary heritage.
1.) TOGETHER AGAINST THE GAME
Cultistorm is a cooperative game, which means that the players play together against the game. We wanted to create a cooperative gaming experience and game mechanic where every player is equally needed, where nobody can become an alpha player and repress the others and nobody is left out of planning and fighting. The game play is driven by deck building and hand management where everyone can develop their investigator character individually and use their cards either to carry out their own actions or to help the other players.
2.) SIMPLE RULES – COMPLEX GAMING EXPERIENCE
Nowadays “Cthulhu games” are quite popular, but most of these games can be divided into two big categories. In the first category we find such epic and complex games as Arkham and Eldritch Horror, Elder Signs and Living Card Games of FFG or the horror fighting games arriving with hundreds of miniatures, which are also very popular on Kickstarter and which not only have Great Old Ones, but great old rule books as well. We need a great table, a great amount of time and a wallet with great depths.
In the other group we have many games which would be uninteresting as a board game, so the creators added the “cthulhu” theme to make it marketable, and the game is nothing more than mere monster butchering.
When creating Cultistorm, we had some important principles we wanted to stick to:
- creating an authentic Lovecraftian themes and atmosphere – our aim is to inspire interest in Lovecraft’s literary and creative heritage with every element of our game
- a relatively short rule book and learning time
- simple game play, the game experience becomes complex through the decisions the players make
- changeable difficulty
- high replayability
- shouldn’t take up a lot of space
- affordable price
3.) VARIED GAME PLAY
Years ago, when the idea of Cultistorm was born, it was just a 64-card pack. It became deeper, more complex and diverse as we developed it. We wanted to create a game that gaming newbies can learn quickly and enjoy greatly, while also giving something new and thinky for the seasoned gamers. Our aim was that a player who doesn’t know Lovecraft and a Lovecraft geek who hasn’t really played before could both have a good gaming experience.
You can play Cultistorm in various ways:
- As 15-30 minute card game which contains our original game idea. It’s very difficult but gives an addictive experience
- The cooperative version of the game, we recommend as the default base game, is an intense very interactive 60-120 minute game
- By the narrative game mode we can use the Script book which will make the game longer, but very immersive, creating an atmosphere as if we were reading one of Lovecraft’s short stories.
- One of the bigger extensions helps us to give even more depth to the game and make it a bit similar to RPG games, in this version instead of fixed character traits the investigators have a skill tree they can develop
- With another module we can bring an Overlord into play, that is a player who is going to play against us. As our common enemy, they will be the one playing in place of the game
- Furthermore, there are smaller extensions that help to make the game more colourful, diverse and complex
WHAT WILL BE IN THE BOX?
If we manage to reach all the promos and Stretch Goals during our Kickstarter Campaign, then the box will look like this (no spoilers):
- Cultistorm board game with around 660 beautifully illustrated cards, player boards, 15 custom dice, 200+ tokens and markers
- Seven different, independent mini extensions which can also be combined. They add new game elements and mechanics to the base game
- The original, simple card version of Cultistorm
- The Overlord Expansion – a semi-cooperative expansion
- Progression of Investigators – RPG-type expansion
- Storm of Cultists – campaign game play expansion
- Script Book Expansion – as a separate ring binder with 216 flash fiction stories (and rule modifications)
- A printed Art Book in colour ( bestiary and catalogue of locations)
- Stories from the time of cultists– Short story anthology
- Unique book box designed by (the name of artist coming soon)
- Exclusive Soundtrack Album by Graham Plowman
- Unique dice tower
- 70 mm H. P. Lovecraft miniature
- Practical plastic insert
- A very cool Early Bird surprise gift which will surely please Lovecraft fans
UNCOMMON CAMPAIGN MANAGEMENT: EVERYTHING IS FOR YOU!
EVERYTHING FOR FREE! We didn’t plan any paying add-ons for the campaign, we would like to give you all the elements, extensions, “atmosphere boosters” as Stretch Goals and to give them along the base game for free without any extra costs.
All the Stretch Goals will be visible from the launch of the campaign, already during the pre-campaign, to be exact.
If there any extensions or elements we don’t reach as Stretch Goals, we will make sure that they become available in the Pledge Manager after the campaign (this way, of course, for additional financial support.)
We would like to put together a campaign which fulfils your expectations and makes you happy.