Cultistorm is the expression of our respect and love for H. P. Lovecraft. It is more than just an ordinary board game – this is a Lovecraftian gaming experience with literary and musical dimensions. Our theme choice was motivated by a deep commitment to the work and heritage of H. P. Lovecraft.
- A highly interactive gaming experience offering unique cooperative game mechanics where every player is of equal importance.
- Scalable difficulty: the game’s setup options allow players to adjust the difficulty of the challenges they will face (this feature is included in the base game).
- Narrative Expansion and Script Book: the true jewel of Cultistorm is a hardcover book containing 500+ pieces of high quality weird fiction, illustrated with colourful full-page artwork. The Narrative Expansion is a story-driven game mode in which the stories impact the game itself.
- Solo Expansion for those solitary detectives who wish take up the fight on their own.
- Campaign Expansion: seven connected and increasingly challenging scenarios introducing new game mechanics.
- Overlord Expansion: this adds a sixth player who takes on the role of Lovecraft himself. As a puppet master, this player controls the cultists, and thus the whole game.
- Nine minor expansion modules: each of these introduces new game mechanics, increasing the replayability and difficulty of Cultistorm. Most modules can be played simultaneously.
- Game Night Expansion (as add-on): this unique and innovative expansion provides the possibility of combining up to six separate Cultistorm games into one epic story. A common fight, in which the choices of the different teams can impact each other. This expansion was developed specifically for clubs who organise board gaming events.
- Hardcover Short Story Collection: the stories were specifically written for the game by a group of fifteen experienced authors with a vast knowledge of weird fiction writing.
- Cultistorm Soundtrack by Graham Plowman: crafted especially for Cultistorm by one of the most renowned composers of the genre, this album gives you something to listen to as you uncover the twisted secrets of Arkham.
- Investigator Badge: this is a special Early Bird gift for our backers. Those backing the game with a “Collector Pledge” or those who support us in the first 72 hours will receive the badge as a free gift. Later it can be purchased separately as an Add-on.
Illustrated Script Book – with 500+ flash fiction stories
We have devised an efficient way to enhance your immersion in the Lovecraftian atmosphere of Cultistorm: we bring you a Script Book with 500+ flash fiction stories from the weird fiction genre. Every character and location (whether from this world or another), the investigators, the cultist sects, and the different events all get their own stories. You can also read a story before an encounter with a cultist – not only will this intensify your gaming experience, it can also have a direct effect on the encounter. The narrative gameplay with the Script Book makes Cultistorm a deep and truly story-driven adventure.
The Script Book will come as a beautiful hardcover book with full-page colour illustrations.
Hardcover Short Story Collection
We want to make the game as immersive as possible. Instead of adding flavour texts to cards, we are compiling short stories with the help of a team of talented weird fiction writers. To accompany the game we offer a complete volume of short stories, which is worthy of Lovecraft’s literary heritage and the genre requirements he created. The short stories are directly connected to the different casts of cultists, locations, and Great Old Ones appearing in the game, creating a detailed world and a rich backstory on a scale quite unusual in the realm of board games.
Soundtrack album – with music by Graham Plowman
If you feel like listening to some music while reading or playing, you can turn on Graham Plowman’s album, which he created especially for Cultistorm. Graham is perhaps the most acknowledged composer of the Lovecraftian subculture. He creates his Lovecraftian atmosphere with a mixture of symphonic orchestra and choir music, using instruments from Lovecraft’s own time. His music is powerful, authentic, and of incredibly high quality.
Before you continue to read this page, why not listen to the track below? Turn up the volume and let Graham Plowman’s fantastic music transport you into the universe of Cultistorm…